Friday, March 14, 2008

Bike Cops on Patrol

Okay so maybe I am complaining, but what do you think?

Tonight, after school, class ended and I played one game of ping pong then packed up my stuff and left school.  Brittany rode her bike to school today, and I rode my bike to school.  It just so happened that she got off work at the same time class ended for me, so I told her that I would bike down to pick her up after work.  When we can, we bike home together and chat about the day.

So anyway, I got on the bike, put my Ipod on my favorite playlist and started off.  I have to ride through the Gaslamp Quarter to get to the hotel that Britt works at.  For those of you who don't know, the Gaslamp Quarter is the neighorhood where all the bars, dance clubs and resturants are.  Even on a Thursday the place is packed with people "out-on-the-town.  So I pass a few cops on bikes and gave them a respectful nod.  A few blocks later, I notice someone biking next to me, I turned to notice one of the bike cops helling at me, telling me to pull over.  

When I bike through the Gaslamp I always ride on the streets, cause the sidewalks are packed with people.  So I thought he was telling me to pull over cause I was interferring with the flow of traffic, but no, he wanted me to pull over like I was being pulled over in a car.  So I pull over, come to a stop and stayed on my bike.  I turned my head to see what the cop was doing.  He parked his bike, got his flashlight out and slowly walked up to me as if he was looking to see if I had any weird thing to hide or something.  "Do you have your license?" He asked.  I was waiting for him to ask for the registration too, but that question didn't come.  While he studied my license I noticed that everyone on the street was staring at me as if to think...."what the heck is that cop doing?"  That was what I was thinking.

So basically this cop pulled me over to tell me that it was illegal to have both earphones in my ear listening to music while biking in San Diego.  The whole time he was explaining to me the in and outs of the law in regards to listening to music while biking I failed to think of anything other than all the crack deals I see everyday at the Park/Market trolley stop near my school and all the homeless people that I see urinating and deficating in public, but it somehow seems that this cop was more occupied with telling me that Ipod and bikes don't mix.  WTF?

Anyway, I think that he wanted to give me grief cause my bike was cooler than his.

8 comments:

Holly said...

Hey, I got pulled over on my bike once too! The cop was in his car though, me on my bike. He did it just like I was in a car. Weird. turned out I didn't come to a full stop at a 4-way (with no cars) before crossing. This was in Jackson Hole though, so I'm assuming he was really bored and looking for something to do. Anyway-that sucks about getting pulled over. cops and their power trips...

The Thatchers said...

Oh that is so lame...definately cuz your bike is cooler!! How are you guys doing???

Our EyreLife said...

Definitely dumb. I swear, police officers have major self-esteem slash self-perseption issues. Not that I don't respect the law, I just have a hard time respecting those who try to enforce it...'cuz they're pretty oblivious.

Shelby, Korri & Co. said...

How funny! I'd like to meet the politician who "made the world a better place" by passing that law. You should have asked if he can listen to his police radio and ride at the same time. Isn't that the same thing?

Shanna said...

Police are so dang power hungry I swear! that is so lame. Thanks for the comment!

Chellor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chellor said...

You totally deserved it!!! Dude you are such a law breaking citizen... what were you thinking?!

But yes, your bike is cooler... much.

Anonymous said...

Good words.