Monday, March 10, 2008

Sailing on San Diego's "Big Bay"

Today my friend Tom took me out sailing on the bay.  It was sunny (like always) and perfect conditions to sail.  I had never been sailing before, but was up for the adventure.  not long after pushing the 22' long sail boat named "Charlie" I said to myself, "I dig this sailing thing."  It was amazing to me that we could spend 5 hours on a boat and navigate through the tight channels near the harbor and out on the bay without using any sort engine.  No fossil fuels burnt today.

Here is Charlie, the boat that took me out



Shortly after navigating the harbor channels of Harbor Island we made it to the bay.



As you may have guessed, many boats use the bay and have to share it. Above you see a tanker, we passed it on its way out of the bay. Here are few more pics of some of the boats we shared the bay with today....

San Diego Harbor Police


Cruise Ships call to port right downtown


US Midway also shares downtown waterfront real estate. It became a floating museum after being decomissioned after Desert Storm.


Pirate Ships on the bay


Two pirate ships doing battle (fake cannons fired and all!!)


We also spotted "Abracadabra". This high speed sail boat trains in San Diego; it competes in the America's Cup Sail Boat Race.


Dinner cruise boats


On the bay can be crowded, here is what I mean


All in all, I love the bay. Lots of boats, wildlife, ect, but this is the biggest reason why I love the bay..







3 comments:

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Everything is going good...we moved to St. George about 2 years ago while Klayton is in school...then who know from there! I know Slayde is getting SO big...it does tend to make me feel old, what makes me feel even older is that TaeLor (lisa's girl) is on Jr. Company at the Dance Club!!! She's 10! Crazy! So you live in San Diego? It looks beautiful there and you look so happy!

Holly said...

how cool to see a pirate ship at sea. If you had kids, they would have peed their pants.

(that was no way an indication that you should have kids--just clarifying:)

RayChill and Steve-O said...

Chips Ahoy Crew! Those photos are too legit to quit. Wowzers Britt and Ky, that is some serious scenery! I am ready to set sail. Britt, memeber when Shanna thought that Enya song said, "save the whales, save the whales, save the whales" instead of "sail away" lol omgosh that is su dang funny! I can't believe you get to look at that fake backdrop everyday! WOW MOM (with the fingers and the mouth as an O.) I really wanna come "see" the "sea" in the big "C"
We are SO far away from eachother! You are on one end of the spectrum and me on the other. We are playing teater totter. I SO want to some see your new digs!
-raychill